Overcome challenges and maximise productivity when managing a multicultural team.
Working internationally is difficult and demands special skills to ensure success. Many highly effective managers and professionals often under-perform when working with people from different cultural backgrounds, who do not share the same values and working practices. This challenge is yet more complex in multicultural teams where managers are required to build relationships and achieve business success across a number of different realities, values and perspectives.
The drama follows an international team who are brought together to launch a new product, and shows how conflicting assumptions about communication style, feedback, task and relationship handling – if not managed – can lead to poor results. It clearly illustrates how business counterparts from other cultures can have differing approaches and attitudes to basic business variables. The team must learn key lessons about building trust, teamwork, people management and remote communication in a multicultural context, in order to succeed.
Ideal for organisations whose business depends on high-quality global relationships, and who need support in making international teamwork effective. This programme provides a clear framework for experienced and inexperienced international professionals, helping them to understand the challenges and complexities of working in a world of difference.
- Build awareness of a potential skills gap in working across cultures; between strategy and implementation
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of working in a multicultural team
- Explore the gap between intention and impact when collaborating across cultures
- Recognise differences in values and behaviors that can impact on the early stages of a team life cycle
- Find out about the stages of a multicultural team life cycle
- Explore the challenges of building commitment at the early stages of this life cycle
- Reflect on how to deal with conflict and set-backs when they arise
- Understand how to balance push and pull energies when sending key messages internationally
- Learn how commitment and trust in international team work can be difficult to sustain at a distance
- Discover culturally motivated assumptions about how effective communication can impact on team productivity
- Learn how important the “Experimentation” phase of team productivity is, and how to manage it effectively
- Obtain insights into selecting and optimising modes of communication
- See how to implement “Push” and “Pull” approaches to handling conflict